Thursday, April 12, 2018

Rutabaga's Reads 2018: Part 2

When I save blog-related documents that I intend to be compilations, I save them with a nickname. It’s very basic, so this one I dubbed “Part Chapter Books.” However, looking at the few books I have here, I could’ve easily termed it “Part American Girl Books.” Consider it however you’d like.
            Please note that I am not a spokesperson for American Girl or Mattel and am in no way associated with either company. I’ve read these books since I was a young girl, and my loyalty to books is apparently very strong!
American Girl: Tenney Shares the Stage (Apr. 25, 2017) by Kellen Hertz.
The recording contract is signed, and Tenney Grant cannot wait to make an album. She always pictured herself as a solo artist, but she’s been partnered with Logan Everett for months. They should be songwriting and harmonizing as equal partners, but they’re out of tune. Both are stubborn, both each think themselves the correct one, Logan thinks Tenney’s songs are too sappy, and she thinks his are too hard-edged. And now, of all things, Logan keeps bailing or he has to rush off to who knows where, and he checks his phone all the time. Will this affect their contract? Tenney originally wanted to go solo, but is their music actually stronger together?
            The third story in the Tenney series from American Girl, Tenney and Logan continue to struggle with being as harmonious off the stage as they are on. As young as they are, the author gives us a look at two fictional characters doing what so many adults have to do: find a work-life balance. It also includes finding professionalism when what one wants to do is speak harshly or, dare I say, stomp one’s foot. The story is also about knowing your passion and using it to help others. For anyone familiar with the American Girl character books, this is another charming story to add to the ranks. The story also celebrates, as American Girl aims to do every day, “a girl’s inner star.”
American Girl: Tenney: A Song for the Season (Sept. 26, 2017) by Kellen Hertz.
The duo known as Tenney and Logan have embarked on their first tour. However, the transportation is far from the tour bus that Belle Starr rides around in, and their hotel accommodations are far from elite (one hotel doesn’t even have a pool). Plus, Tenney didn’t realize how hard touring would be, and she isn’t even leaving the state of Tennessee! Both she and Logan have strong cases of homesickness, though neither is quick to admit it to the other. It simply shows through their tension and arguments. They’re cracking under the pressure. Can they find their balance and holiday spirit before they jeopardize their careers before they’ve barely begun … and in time for Christmas?
            Hertz remains consistent with her main characters. Tenney continues to think she’s the one who’s trying the hardest, Logan continues to be moody, and both are still too stubborn and proud to confide in the other. They’re young, I get that, but youth would not have stopped my parents from reminding me that I needed to halt the uppity attitude and shape up. I wish one of Tenney’s parents would do the same. Aside from that small gripe, it’s a sweet story that has ups and downs. It includes real-life stress that I imagine every performer has experienced and worried about, and I appreciate that the author included such scenarios (e.g. audio issues a.k.a. “every performer’s worst nightmare”). It’s probably too sugar-cookie-sweet for some, but for those who are dedicated to American Girl books, you’ll want to add this one to your ever-increasing collection.
American Girl: Z on Location (Sept. 12, 2017) by J.J. Howard.
Going on a road trip seems like the perfect opportunity for Z Yang to have many #summeradventure moments, as inspired by her favorite superstar vlogger, Winter Costello. Unfortunately, Z has trouble being in the now, and her unofficial title of production assistant for her mother’s film documentary photo shoots is in jeopardy. Will her fervor for the online world and connecting with her Z’s Crew ruin her chances of showing her mom that she’s professional and responsible enough to connect with her vlog idol at VidCon?
            As someone who’s not overly tech-savvy, I am impressed with this character’s passion for vlogging, and I love that her inspiration comes from her mother, an intelligent, strong woman. The author handles the balance very well between Z’s online tech world and the overall story, for never once did I feel overwhelmed by any “tech-speak.” Z makes mistakes, but she ultimately learns from them, which is what I always hope happens when I make mistakes – that I learn from them and grow with those experiences. The author also captures how easy it can be to get caught up in the online world, though without the tantrum-throwing dramatics we’ve probably all cringed at when we’ve seen segments on the news. This is a candid but nice story and is the second in Z’s collection.
            My favorite moment in the story reminds me of so many dogs, especially my parents’ dog, Ellie. A character asks Z if her dog is licking the camera in the picture of her that she has. Z replies, “Yes, Popcorn always wants to check to see if everything is edible.” How true that is!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for posting about Tenney! Now, I know a little bit more about her. I, too, would have been told to "shape up" when I was her age. If I didn't get along with my sister, I was punished, and if I didn't get what I wanted out of life, I was told, "Life isn't fair." Perhaps I'll have to have a talk with my doll!

    ReplyDelete

You have a book or post-related comment on your mind? Wonderful! Your comments are welcome, but whether you are a regular or guest Rutabaga, I expect you to keep your comments clean and respectable. :-)