Friday, May 1, 2020

The Positive Page-turner's Challenge: Take 10

Are there any takers for a Reading Day (or Weekend) with me once this stay-at-home order has been lifted? (This is not a joke.) Because that’s what I think I need to make a dent in the books on my TBR bookshelf. A leisurely day to throw on comfortable clothes and not worry about chores while reading whatever stockpile of books that I’ve got going on. Exception: Pet chores are allowed.
            Compared to the first months of last year, my book numbers are down. Personally disappointing, yes, but I’ve made it self-mandatory that I must work on my projects lists (they are numerous and time-consuming) and therefore cannot spend every spare moment reading (though I’d love to). As of this post, I’ve only managed to read 23 books in the past four months (plus one to start this month), which means 23 packages of bar soap (again, 8-10 bars per package). Last year, I sent over 150 pounds of bar soap to Haiti, and that’s not even all of it that I bought in 2019! (I had more, but didn’t have enough boxes to get it all boxed up.)
            As you know, for subsequent Positive Page-turner’s Challenges within a given year, I like to add a little extra to it. These books will all go toward the bar soap count once read (a given), and I’ve chosen to donate $5 for every book featured in this picture. With 17 books arranged, I’ll be donating $85. Instead of going to my home church, I am donating it to our local volunteer fire department. Myrtle Fire Department had to cancel their annual fundraiser due to the pandemic, and they want to purchase equipment to better and safely serve the community while keeping themselves protected as well.
            If you’re collecting donations or making items to donate, share in the Comments what you’re doing and for which organization(s). If you’re focusing on helping others during the COVID-19 pandemic or if you’re on the front lines, share here. Let’s continue to spread the message of charity and compassion, and let’s grant support however we’re able!

No comments:

Post a Comment

You have a book or post-related comment on your mind? Wonderful! Your comments are welcome, but whether you are a regular or guest Rutabaga, I expect you to keep your comments clean and respectable. :-)