Thursday, April 1, 2021

National Poetry Month 2021

Three Wooden Dinosaur
Photo by cottonbro via Pexels
                
National Poetry Month 2021
Happy National Poetry Month! I’m here with a new rhyme,
But what should I write, because it’s still a strange time?
Should I go serious and write of people unsung
Or when I laugh-coughed so hard that I expelled a lung?
 
That’s untrue, I told a fib, for both lungs are intact.
My coughing tirade happened at home, and that is a fact!
I don’t even recall which part had me laughing so,
But the book’s by someone on the SNL show.
 
There’s my three-year-old nephew, who’s quite the dinosaur fan,
I laugh every time that he says, “Oh, man!”
There’s my parents’ dog, Ellie, she collects tennis balls with pride.
When I saw a picture I took, I laughed so hard that I cried.
 
It seems apparent that laughter is this poem’s theme.
Perhaps my cover photo should have been a funny meme.
Whether I’m up or I’m down, I include laughter in my life.
It keeps me floating through most and bolsters me through strife.
 
What brings you laughter? Banishes the dark?
The joy of family, cat cuddles or a dog’s playful bark?
Do you trend towards dark humor, skulls or bats?
Me? I’ll continue to hang with my “A-B-C” cats.

1 comment:

  1. Lisa, I love your humor in this poem and wholeheartedly agree that being able to laugh does banish the dark! What made me laugh most recently was a few days ago when my duck Nettie, who loves to snuggle, tucked her beak into my shirt. As I petted her long, sleek body of black and green iridescent feathers, she began to coo and became so relaxed that she wet my pants. "I love you, Nettie," I said chuckling. Would that everyone had a duck to love!
    Thank you, Lisa, for letting me share my little chuckle!

    ReplyDelete

You have a book or post-related comment on your mind? Wonderful! Your comments are welcome, but whether you are a regular or guest Rutabaga, I expect you to keep your comments clean and respectable. :-)