Friday, March 15, 2024

"Li'l Elmer & Archie" by JoAnn Lower: An Interview

It is my honor to share with you an interview with JoAnn Lower, author of the children’s picture book “Li’l Elmer & Archie.” To me, JoAnn is a dear friend, and she also happens to be a first cousin once removed. I am delighted that she has added “author” to her skill set!
JoAnn, congratulations on publishing your first picture book! I know you’re a veteran of writing with your years of writing for the local newspaper. You’re already a journalist. What is it like to add “author” to your list?


JoAnn: Publishing a children’s book has been my dream for years. Being called “author” is a humbling experience.

You have a background in storytelling. Have you found that being a storyteller helps your writing process as an author?

JoAnn: Being a storyteller, I think in stories. Remembering the dots and sometimes years later connecting the dots that make up a story is awe-inspiring. Writing stories is my passion.

What or who inspired you to write “Li’l Elmer & Archie?”

JoAnn: A friend who owned a hardware store once told me about a farmer who came into her store wearing a pair of worn-out overalls. Noticing a mouse peeking out from the tattered hem of his overall leg, she readied a cardboard box. Next time the mouse appeared, she quickly covered it with the box, slid a sheet of cardboard underneath and freed the mouse to live outside. Remembering her story made me wonder: Did the farmer mind the mouse living in his overalls? If so, did he miss the mouse? Did the mouse miss him?

I’ve heard you explain that “Li’l Elmer & Archie” is a story about discrimination. Diversity and inclusion is a big topic. What sets your story apart from other picture books about a similar topic?

JoAnn: Many other picture books on library bookshelves speak to diversity and inclusion. My book tells the story of two unlikely characters who, after delving deeper into each other’s lives, no longer see differences but likenesses, allowing them to become best friends.

I know your book is available to purchase via Amazon. Do you know if “Li’l Elmer & Archie” is available to check out from your local library?

JoAnn: “Li’l Elmer & Archie” is available through Amazon.com and, just for the moment, for checkout at my local library in Northwood, Iowa. [Northwood Public Library]

You’ve crafted a sweet tale meant for a broad audience. Denis Proulx’s illustrations complement your text with bold colors and engaging characters. How wonderful is it to work with an artist who’s taken your text and helped you bring your story to pictorial life?

JoAnn: Illustrator Denis Proulx is a wonderful gentleman to work with. Paying close attention to my original manuscript, he created each of its colorful characters so beautifully that they brought my story to life.

JoAnn, thank you for taking the time to answer my questions! Love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

You have a book or post-related comment on your mind? Wonderful! Your comments are welcome, but whether you are a regular or guest Rutabaga, I expect you to keep your comments clean and respectable. :-)