Sunday, September 30, 2018

Rutabaga's Reads 2018: Part 7

Because it is my favorite category, I read a lot of YA (young-adult) novels. And because I have received them from publishers, I next read a healthy amount of inspirational fiction titles. Then I read a fair amount of middle-grade stories. I will read from any age category, though certain age categories hold more weight for me than others. This compilation features novels geared for adults. However, since I don’t read a lot of adult fiction, there are only two titles here.
No Easy Target (Apr. 25, 2017) by Iris Johansen.
*This is a standalone novel with occasional recurring characters.*
Some people say they like animals more than humans. Margaret Douglas would be one such person, but it’s for a far more unique reason: she has the ability to communicate with them and understand them in a way that the animal understands. She changes her name as needed and never stays in one place overlong. The violence in her past has a name, and it’s Stan Nicos. He knows her ability, and he wants to use it for nefarious purposes. She escaped from him once and vowed never to return to Vadaz Island. But John Lassiter found her. It took him far longer than he’d have liked, but found her he has. Someone close to him is a captive of Nicos’, and he’s prepared to use Margaret as bait. Naturally, she fights that, and the two try to outwit the other until something of a tentative understanding comes to light. They have a common enemy, so they need to match wits to outwit him.
            I’ve been reading Johansen’s novels now for so long, that I automatically preorder them when a mass market edition is available, but I do ask myself why I keep buying her books. They are action-filled thrillers with macho men and steely women. A splash of the supernatural (like with Margaret’s ability) is not uncommon. The bad guys are always the great evils of the books. The baddies never have a moral compass, and the word “ethics” is probably not in their vocabularies. It’s a lot of the same, but with different characters and different locales.
            Perhaps 2019 will be the year that I quit preordering her books. I do not read those she writes with her son, Roy Johansen, so I’ve got that going for me. Her books are not bad; they’re simply very predictable.
Two by Two (Oct. 4, 2016) by Nicholas Sparks.
*This is a standalone novel.*
Idyllic life for the Green family is about to fall apart. Russell has missed all the telltale signs. After he leaves his job (before being fired), entrepreneur Russ starts the advertising company he’s dreamed of: Phoenix Agency. But building a client base is slow-going, which prompts his wife, Vivian, to get a job. She quickly secures a well-paying job. Suddenly, Russ finds himself bussing London to her numerous activities (even though she’s only five/six), while trying to gain his first client. Vivian’s new job is demanding, and she’s often on overnight trips. When they’re together, she’s very hot and cold. Vivian’s also masterful at making Russ feel like the guilty party. Every. Single. Time. While it’s so obvious from a reader’s perspective, it comes as a shock when the 32-year-old Russ sees the fault lines of his life are cracks that cannot be repaired.
            Mr. Mom-type character. Good idea. Banter between Russell and his older sister, Marge. Great. Emily’s a strong character, though it takes awhile for her to be involved in the story. Overall, unfortunately, I struggled to read this novel. I was bored. I started this book months ago, and I’ve read almost 20 books in between. Perhaps I missed the lack of suspense as in his more recent novels. Or, and I can’t believe I’m saying this about a Nicholas Sparks novel, it could be that he created an over-watered storyline with lackluster characters. Russ is a needy, over-thinking, naïve, hopeless romantic. Vivian, while a good mother, comes across as vain, spoiled and only beautiful on the outside. Both have woe-is-me mentalities, which, if this were real-life and not fiction, I expect would be damaging in the long-term to London. You know what the outcome of the couple will be, so you can only watch them spiral out-of-sync. The story ended conclusively; it was even a bit emotional, but don’t expect surprises. The disappointment of this novel won’t stop me from reading the next one, but unless you’re a loyal Nicholas Sparks fan (*raises hand*), I’d pass on adding this one to your bookshelf.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You have a book or post-related comment on your mind? Wonderful! Your comments are welcome, but whether you are a regular or guest Rutabaga, I expect you to keep your comments clean and respectable. :-)