Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Happy 2013!

How did you ring in 2013?
            2012 took us on another rollercoaster ride, as years tend to do -- unless you live in a cave, but if you’re reading this, surely you don’t, as I’m guessing any wireless connection would be mostly nonexistent. Whether as active participants or observers, we have seen, read and heard about the good, the bad and the ugly. People completing good works. Being bombarded by political ads in an election year. Made in America. Hurricane Sandy. Cheering on the London 2012 Summer Olympians. The Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting in Newtown, CT. Gangnam Style. Famous people making various headlines. Volunteer efforts of the few and the multitude.
            I could go on, but then absolutely no one would want to read this. It’s not a thesis, after all. It’s a blog post!
            And, always, we have come through a year personal to ourselves because they’re our individual lives. We’ve celebrated relatives and friends at birthday parties and wedding celebrations, but have also mourned loved ones. We’ve had successes and failures, and we have our hopes and our fears, our worries and our joys.
            What are your hopes for 2013? What are your resolutions? If you are comfortable sharing any or all of them, I’d love to read your comments.
            If you’re reading this sentence, know that I’m wishing you a happy, healthy and safe 2013 (even if we’ve never met). I hope that you move mountains, venture out from your comfort zone on occasion and strive to be better than you were yesterday or last year or ten years ago. Go hug a loved one (or a stranger, it’s your call!). Thank someone for something. Smile a lot and laugh even more. And don’t forget to love. Love not just others, but also yourself. Because you know what? You’re worth loving, too!
            Happy New Year!!! --Lisa “Rutabaga”

3 comments:

  1. Since I asked about your hopes and possible resolutions for 2013, I figured it's only fair that I start off the commenting. No resolutions for me. After all, if I don't make them, then I can't break them!! In reality, if it's something I put my mind to, then it is something that will get accomplished in the year. I don't just have hopes; I have PLANS. My plans for this year include keeping loved ones in prayer and tithing more to my church this year than last year. And READING, of course! As far as wants, the list is quite long, but includes traveling (near or far) and just having an overall fantastic year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My resolution is to go on more adventures! I'm addicted to adventures :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. A wonderful and uplifting post to get us started off right in the new year, Lisa! I do have a few plans for 2013, including competing in a triathlon and working on a family cookbook of my mom's signature recipes. Beyond plans, however, I have a few general intentions that revolve around spending more time in artistic expression (whether through ballet, playing music, or drawing) and pursuing spiritual growth and maturity (praying and reading more religious texts). Cheers to the new year and the hope it brings!

    ReplyDelete

You have a book or post-related comment on your mind? Wonderful! Your comments are welcome, but whether you are a regular or guest Rutabaga, I expect you to keep your comments clean and respectable. :-)