Friday, January 25, 2013

Question: Books on the Brain

Although questions within my posts commonly crop up, questions as individual blog posts are uncommon. Here is what I'd love for you to answer:
"What books are on your must-read, gotta-have-it list? What already-published books are you hoping to find the time to read this year? What books have you already read or re-read in the first month of 2013?"
Even if someone else mentions a book/author, mention the book/author again! The best part about these questions is that we can all potentially benefit. I might discover a new favorite author and fantastic read or others participating in the post may. And please don't limit commenting to yourself. If you know other frequent-readers or picky readers or readers in-between (significant others, kids, other relatives, friends, co-workers), please encourage them to comment as well. There is real potential to get great reading ideas from others!

6 comments:

  1. I am commenting first to [hopefully] get the Comments thread running. You all know what I’ve read in recent months, but there is almost always at least one book I’m looking forward to. This year is no exception. The book I am most looking forward to is “The House of Hades” by Rick Riordan; it’s the fourth in his The Heroes of Olympus series. It is at the very top of my MUST-READ, GOTTA-HAVE-IT list!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So far this year I've read "The Last Song" by Nicholas Sparks. Very good read, keep a Kleenex box close by;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nicole -- I also enjoy the books of Nicholas Sparks. My favorite of his is still "Three Weeks with My Brother," the memoir he wrote with, unsurprisingly, his brother. A very good read, if you haven't read it already.

    Rutabaga Friends -- Please let me share with you a comment I had via my profile. (That profile post was "limited," meaning it isn't public.) Here is what my great aunt shared: "Just finished the Hatchet with a group of 5th graders. It kept them in suspense. I enjoyed the author very much. Lots to do with compare and contrast, and cause and effect. [A]lso lots of science principles." If you need a refresher, "Hatchet" is a Newberry Honor title by Gary Paulsen. Put simply, the storyline is part survival, part self-discovery and part tough choices.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am hoping to finish reading "The Coldest Winter" by David Halberstam... if I complete that this year I shall start on "Salt: A World History" by Mark Kurlansky. Nonfiction. Yay.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've caught me in the middle of a positivity and faith kick, Lisa! In the first weeks of 2013, I've read "Unglued" by Lysa Terkeust, "Choose Joy: Because Happiness Isn’t Enough" by Kay Warren, and I'm now in the middle of "The Resolution for Women" by Priscilla Shirer. Last month, however, I was into some funny business. It took me no time at all to laugh and read my way through "Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns)" by Mindy Kaling and "Bossypants" by Tina Fey. Cheers to a laughter and positivity-filled 2013!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay to nonfiction reads! Hooray to positivity and faith books! Cheers to humor and laughter-filled novels! I haven't read the books by Mindy Kaling and Tina Fey, but I have wanted to. Kaling's title and Fey's cover alone prompt me to want to read their books. Someday, perhaps!

    ReplyDelete

You have a book or post-related comment on your mind? Wonderful! Your comments are welcome, but whether you are a regular or guest Rutabaga, I expect you to keep your comments clean and respectable. :-)