Saturday, February 16, 2013

"His Roots Ran Deep"

Today my classmates and I said goodbye to a classmate and a friend. It's always so hard to find the right words to say to the family and close friends who are left behind after a loved one passes. My poem cannot fully convey the deepest condolences I have for the family, but I hope that anyone who reads this feels the testament of Matt's goodness and kindness and his passion for life, adventure, family and friends.

“His Roots Ran Deep”
In memory of: Matthew Donald Learn
(August 21, 1984 – January 28, 2013)
Son, Husband, Brother, Friend

His roots were not shallow, but ran deep.
They formed and grew even in his sleep.
His roots reached you, but also reached me
To build a family and friend history.
He was rooted to you from his first day;
He met the rest of us along the way.

Matt’s roots weren’t stuck in a single space.
They spread near and far from place to place.
Minnesota, the Netherlands, or Greece –
Each place another life’s puzzle piece.
Myrtle as home, Sofia as love;
Travel by ground or the sky above.

So much passion for adventure and life,
So much love for his family and wife.
My sympathies go out to you and yours –
Through air, by land, or on distant shores.
Matt’s roots ran deep, but won’t ever part,
For we ALL hold a piece of him in our hearts!

Written by: Lisa "Rutabaga" on February 13, 2013

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful Lisa. What a wonderful tribute to a classmate. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Lisa, for your tribute and for your support at the memorial service. Matt is reading it from above.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your kind words. And thanks to everyone who has taken the time to read the poem. I feel honored that it has been so well-received.

    Desi, Julie, Leo, April, Arianne & Brandon -- Again, I am so sorry for your loss. You are in our thoughts and prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brought a tear to me eye.

    ReplyDelete

You have a book or post-related comment on your mind? Wonderful! Your comments are welcome, but whether you are a regular or guest Rutabaga, I expect you to keep your comments clean and respectable. :-)