Sunday, June 15, 2014

"Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns)" by Mindy Kaling

Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns) (Nov. 1, 2011)
   by Mindy Kaling.
How do I describe what this book is about? I suppose it’s part memoir or autobiography, but that makes it sound deliriously boring, and it’s certainly not a boring book. In fact, it’s exceedingly humorous, and I laughed aloud so many times – usually whilst eating lunch at work – that I’m surprised none of my co-workers witnessed this and called me out on it. (Or perhaps they did and didn’t come forward to admit it, instead worrying internally about my sanity and keeping it to themselves.) The back cover pegs this book as Humor-Essays, which isn’t very helpful. So I’m going to go with the author’s description. She notes that she wrote it in a way that reflects how she thinks. It’s a book about “… romance, female friendships, unfair situations that now seem funny in retrospect, unfair situations that I still don’t think are funny, Hollywood, heartache, and my childhood.” Kaling writes in essay form, story form and sometimes with the use of lists.
            One of my favorite lists in her book falls within the chapter ‘When You’re Not Skinny, This Is What People Want You to Wear.’ She then proceeds to list those items and tells you exactly why they are no good. For example: Navy, which, in her words, is “the thin-lipped, spinster sister of black.” I also liked Sherlock Holmes-style cloaks: “This I don’t mind so much, as long as I have a pipe and a monocle.”
            And quotes. Oh, there are so many funny ones. But one that sticks out in my mind, which I found amusing was this: “In psychology, (okay, Twilight) they teach you about the notion of imprinting, and I think it applies here.” Of all things, she’s talking about not being an athlete and goes on to say, “I reverse imprinted with athleticism. Ours is the great non-love story of my life.” Hilarious and superb, I tell you!
            Although I just finally read this book, I do remember it catching my eye when it first came out thanks to the clever title alone. And I’m kicking myself now for taking so long to read it! You read this book by this person who now has fame and fortune, and you realize how much she might remind you of someone you know. Maybe even yourself. (I was gleeful to read her chapter on ‘Revenge Fantasies While Jogging.’ So happy that I’m not the only one who imagines revenge fantasies. Ha!)(This is not a joke.)
            The thing about famous people is that they seem to be on such a different plane than us that they might as well come from another planet, but I didn’t get that from Kaling. In fact, her stories sound so much like the wishes or insecurities (or revenge fantasies) that we might have, that reading her story is like discovering a kindred spirit. One who is hilarious, bubbly and entertaining even through the tough stuff of growing up and chasing her dreams.
            This post is longer than I’d anticipated. But I’m not normally a very brief person, so I left it at this length. If you made it all the way through this post, I hope you want to read this book, too. You should read it. Sometimes it’s a little dirty, but it’s all sorts of humorous.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You have a book or post-related comment on your mind? Wonderful! Your comments are welcome, but whether you are a regular or guest Rutabaga, I expect you to keep your comments clean and respectable. :-)