Wednesday, March 20, 2019

"Slayer" by Kiersten White

Slayer (Jan. 8, 2019) by Kiersten White.
Slayers slay and Watchers watch. Traditionally, Watchers are paired with a Slayer, and if a Slayer dies, the Watcher will likely receive a new Slayer. Athena “Nina” Jamison-Smythe is neither. She’s always been the one shunted to the side. Her twin sister, Artemis, is the one who’s received the Watcher training, the one whom their mom goes to when she wants something done. Nina is the castle medic (Healer), and it hurts that her mom comes to her for nothing. But what can she expect? After all, in the fire those years ago, she saved Artemis first, and Nina almost died. Artemis is always first to Helen, their mom.
            But then, Nina kills a hellhound … with her bare hands. It comes to light that Nina has always been a Potential, and she was never aware. A Potential is one who could become a Slayer, but right now, there are too many Slayers when there should only be one. Why? Because Buffy. And because of Buffy, there is no magic in the world. Hellmouths are closed, which keeps demons from entering, but it also means that any demons already on this side of the rip are trapped on this side. With humans.
            It turns out that Nina isn’t just a Potential; she’s a bona fide Slayer. Suddenly she’s faster and stronger than should be possible. It’s clear she needs training, but her physical instincts are razor-sharp. Still, Slayers slay, and she’s gone the route of trying to save, heal and protect all these years. (Her care is not limited to humans.) Unfortunately, her mother seems disinterested in this new revelation. But was it a revelation to her mother? Could Nina be the last Slayer?
            Because I’ve been a fan of Kiersten White’s books is the only reason I pre-ordered this YA paranormal adventure. I am not familiar with the Buffyverse at all. It was never a show I watched. I’m certain that I’m missing plenty of knowledge, but White includes enough that I didn’t feel like I was lost in a big city. While I can’t guess to its accuracy within the Buffyverse, I will say that I liked the book better than anticipated. It’s not as riveting as other stories I’ve read by White and is almost lukewarm compared to, say, the imagination and brutality of the And I Darken trilogy, but the twist at the end is terrific. With that twist alone, I will read the next story. (Plus, I’d read it anyway, because it’s Kiersten White.) And I’m with Nina on this: translating ancient Sumerian into Latin is diabolical. Or, I imagine it is. Can’t say I’ve ever found myself having to suffer through such a translation!

No comments:

Post a Comment

You have a book or post-related comment on your mind? Wonderful! Your comments are welcome, but whether you are a regular or guest Rutabaga, I expect you to keep your comments clean and respectable. :-)