Thursday, March 1, 2018

The Positive Page-turner's Challenge: Take 4

I admit that I am a bit mortified with myself. It has been almost 10 months since my last Positive Page-turner’s Challenge! Look how close to a year that is! So my challenge to myself is straightforward and will cover the months of March and April. For half the number of books I read within those two months (chapter books on up), I will donate $10 per book to my home church. For the other half, I will donate a package of bar soap (eight-count or greater) for each of those remaining books. Therefore, if I read 24 books between the two months, I’ll donate $120 to my church and purchase 12 packages of bar soap.
            “Where will the bar soap go?” you might ask. If you’re unfamiliar with my previous challenges, I donate all bar soap to GoServ Global (out of Eagle Grove, Iowa) with the expectation that it will get sent to Haiti. Meanwhile, the monetary donation to my church will go to one of the specific funds. Perhaps the Haiti Project, but I won’t rule out donating it to Sunday School, Altar Guild or another fund altogether.
            Challenges of all sorts can be wondrous, whether you set them yourself (like this one) or take up a suggestion from others. The important thing is that you are challenging yourself to do something more, perhaps even something far larger than yourself. Whether it’s a challenge that pushes you alone or reaches others is up to you. And sometimes, those challenges are not the ones we choose, and if you’re going through any of those, I hope you persevere and rise above them. But this is not a post to focus on the truly tough, the nasty tough, the I-don’t-have-words tough. This is a challenge of positivity in reading. So, with that, happy reading, my friends!

1 comment:

  1. Amazingly, March and April are complete, and my tabulations are complete. Counting chapter books on up, I read 11 books in those two months. Do I wish it were more? Surely. Or at least an even number. Instead of splitting things by purchasing one smaller package of soap and donating an extra $5, I'm just going to add another full package of soap to my list. So, my final donation tally is: (1) 6 packages of bar soap (eight-count or greater) and (2) $50 to my home church, though I haven't specified a fund. I will by Sunday, though!

    ReplyDelete

You have a book or post-related comment on your mind? Wonderful! Your comments are welcome, but whether you are a regular or guest Rutabaga, I expect you to keep your comments clean and respectable. :-)