Wednesday, April 26, 2023

A Poem: "Holy Macaroni"

Free Silver MacBook on White Table Stock Photo
Photo by Andrew Neel via Pexels
Holy Macaroni
*This is dedicated to my coworker. She has read it and says, “I’d put that on a t-shirt.”*

I just want to run away. I just want to quit.
This place saps my energy bit by bit by bit.
Here runs a near-constant current of distress.
It must be a lot like a bogeyman’s caress.

This place taints my spirit. It makes my soul wilt.
It makes me feel threadbare like an over-washed quilt.
I want to have a meltdown. I want to throw a fit.
Holy macaroni, I’m so sick of this sh*t.

The weekends speed by like the speed of light.
Weeks at this place are like a growing blight.
Stress fills my daytime and my nights with angry dreams
That burst with obscenities at megaphone screams.

A mere vacation is laughable; that won’t do,
Nor will a staycation or a new pair of shoes.
Get us out of here. Get us out quick
Before this crazy to us does stick!

2 comments:

  1. WOW!!! This poem is incredible and describes not only your workplace but the place I worked for 22 years! How I wish I'd thought to put words to feelings about my workplace, instead of just holding the hurt inside. Love it, Lisa. Thank you, JoAnn Lower

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, JoAnn! Until now, I've not been one to speak so baldly about a workplace, past or present. It was a weighted step, but a right one, one that I needed to take. And, even then, I've been as professional as possible, not naming the business, any names or the type of work that I do.

      Delete

You have a book or post-related comment on your mind? Wonderful! Your comments are welcome, but whether you are a regular or guest Rutabaga, I expect you to keep your comments clean and respectable. :-)